Oil heating appliances have a very good carbon monoxide safety record, highlighted by a 2012 report by the Gas Safety Trust which showed heating oil to be extremely safe for domestic use.
However, although most people associate carbon monoxide poisoning with faulty gas appliances, all fossil fuels can give off the clear, odourless gas which is responsible for more than 50 deaths and 4,000 people admitted to A&E in the UK every year*.
OFTEC is throwing its weight behind this year’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (18-24 November) by urging home heating oil consumers to get their boilers checked by an OFTEC registered technician before winter sets in to reduce any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Malcolm Farrow, of OFTEC, comments: “The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is significantly lower with oil-fired central heating but consumers should not be complacent. The key message is that in order to save lives, consumers should have their boilers checked annually by an OFTEC registered technician to make sure they are working properly. We also recommend homeowners install a carbon monoxide detector in their home.
“This is an important issue which we stress to our customers all year round. We want to do all we can to support national Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week and view a carbon monoxide detector as just as important to people’s safety as a smoke alarm – they really do save lives.”
Further information on how to minimise the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning is provided at www.oilsave.co.uk. Consumers can also ring OFTEC on 0845 65 85 080, option 3 for advice on carbon monoxide related issues.
*Figures from the Department of Health.