Barton Petroleum logo

Fill in the details below and we will find your local depot so you can obtain the latest heating oil prices

How many litres? (min. 500)

First part of postcode (e.g. NN1)

Government Regulations For Storing Oil At Home logo


You have to follow certain regulations if you have an oil storage container at your home, business or farm. Oil storage containers include tanks, drums, intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) and mobile containers called ‘bowsers’.

The person responsible for the property or premises is usually legally responsible for the oil storage container, eg the homeowner. You normally have to follow building regulations if you have an oil storage container installed at your home.

If your storage container can hold 3,501 litres or more, you must follow the regulations for businesses.

You have to follow oil storage regulations if the container at your business can hold 201 litres or more of certain types of oil. The regulations for businesses also apply to public sector buildings like schools, hospitals, churches and residential care homes.

Checking and labelling your tank

You should get your oil storage container inspected every year by a professional. The person inspecting your tank will let you know when you should replace it.Oil Care suggest that you look at your oil tank at least once a month, and learn what to do if you have an oil leak or spill.

You must meet building regulations if you have a new or replacement oil storage container installed at your home in England, eg to fuel your cooker or central heating.

Building regulations are different if your home is in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Choosing someone to install your tank

You should choose someone who’s registered with a ‘Competent Person’ scheme. They can self-certify that their work complies with building regulations and can deal with building control issues, like objections.

If you don’t use someone registered with a ‘Competent Person’ scheme, you’ll have to get a Building Control Notice from your local council and arrange and pay for an inspection yourself.

Without approval you won’t have the certificates of compliance you may need when you want to sell your home.


All Barton Petroleum technicians are OFTEC trained and registered so you’ll have complete peace of mind when choosing us for your oil tank requirements.