- If you haven’t already done so, upgrade your existing oil boiler to a high efficiency condensing unit. We calculate that for a typical family home, this could reduce your energy bills by about 20%. It will also reduce your carbon emissions.
- Do everything you can to maximise the energy performance of your home. Increasing your loft and wall insulation or adding double glazing can really help to reduce your energy bills.
- Improve your system controls. Room controls and thermostatically controlled radiators mean you only heat the rooms you need – preventing unnecessary energy use.
- Combine your oil system with renewable energy to give you a ‘best of both worlds’ solution.
- Turn it down! Surprising as it sounds, many people overheat their homes. Just turning your thermostat down by one degree can save a lot of money. Buying your oil in the summer could also make a considerable difference to how much you pay.